The countdown app on my phone tells me it’s 3 weeks and 6 days until DecaMan USA. That sounds like ages still, but my concept of time has always been a little off.
On the 18th October 2015, I flew to Mexico (which was fairly terrifying in itself, as I’m not the best flyer) to attempt my first one-a-day Deca Triathlon.
It didn’t go too well.
To put it mildly.
In fact, to say that I was wildly underprepared would be an understatement.
My training has always been a little on the sporadic side, swinging between over or undertrained. For this one, I was not only undertrained, but I lacked massively in experience. Throw in a bit of jet lag and my old friend back pain and you get a very expensive and hugely embarrassing accidental triple.
I sat in the airport on the way home, feeling so depressed, that I bought a kitten. Anyway, I digress..
Back to 2018, and I’m sat wondering, (ok, panicking) about what, if anything, has changed?
- I’m a little faster. Don’t get excited, it’s not much.
- I eat more now. Albeit mostly potato in different guises.
- My core is stronger and my back pain more manageable (no joking here).
- I don’t faff as much… or I faff and keep moving.
- I have a decent run / walk strategy (great for managing injuries and keeping a consistent speed)
- I am the Queen of Sleep Deprivation and I rule in the Kingdom of Nosleeptillyou’redead. Fuck, yes.
Ok, that sounds quite positive, I might be able to do this. But wait, let’s wallow about in the negatives for a while. That’s always fun…
- I’m still utterly rubbish with getting cold when I’m swimming (‘just swim faster…’ Yeah, cos I didn’t think of that before).
- I’m still a panicky weirdo in open water (and some pools if I’m being really special). But the more I swim… the more I realise.. it’s just never going away… Ah well.
- The event cut offs, hovering behind me like the Grim Reaper (Sweeper) enveloping me in its black cloud of negativity. And just making me think I’m a total loser.
I think that’s it and there are more good points than bad. And I’m pretty sure that the Queen of SD can kick the Grim’s ass…
Well, I guess I will find out in 3 weeks, 5 days, 6 hours and 9 minutes…